This post is also available in: Chinese (Traditional)
On July 14th, my girlfriend and were hiking on Lamma Island (Hong Kong) for her birthday. I was told there had been a small oil spill recently, but I did not expect to see it when we arrived in Tung O Wan, Shek Pai Wan (22.196649, 114.139827).
“June 21, a 10m x 15m slick was reported in waters off Tung O Wan, and a 100m x 15m slick was seen on Tung O Wan beach. The department cleaned small oil patches off Tung O Wan on June 22 and 23, and will send samples of the oil to the Government Laboratory for analysis.”
- Official Government report : http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201306/24/P201306240725.htm
- Local resident forum discussion : http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum-OK/viewtopic.php?t=13321
- Facebook group : https://www.facebook.racom/pages/The-Naked-Islands-Project-HK/160150074157623
We made this video with our mobile phone that day, thanks to Nadege Nguyen.
Dissection of a crab
Panorama & Photos
Proposal for further Research & Cleaning
Shek Pai wan site needs more research and more cleaning.
- Biological analysis. Sampling crabs, fishes, turtles, shells and study their respiratory, digestive, endocrine and reproductive systems.
- Aerial Photography & Mapping with visible and infrared spectrum.
- Underwater photography and mapping with visible and infrared spectrum
- Water sample Spectrography to detect traces of oil (and perhaps other chemicals) in water
All research would be done using Open Source technology and the findings published as we go.
I am looking for Hong Kong residents to collaborate, please get in touch : email@example.com